Tuesday, October 9, 2007

I'll keep you locked in my head

I went to the Seattle Art Museum on Saturday, which houses mostly modern work. It was nice, but for the most part I don't enjoy modern art. There have been a rare few pieces that I have loved, but what I saw at the SAM just didn't do it for me. The top floor was more my style with classical pieces, and some intricately painted china.
I prefer the Impressionists, specifically Monet's waterlilies. I know that's not unique, but I still love them. My all time favorite is on display in a small hard to find museum in Paris. Part of the reason I love them so much is that I got to go to Monet's garden in Giverney, which is where the series was painted. It was such a surreal moment to turn around a corner in the garden and feel as though I were inside a painting. I hope I never forget it.
A large chunk of Sunday was spent doing laundry and looking up books on the internet. I was extremely successful with the former, but not the latter activity. I've found a number of websites that I can use to figure out titles from what sketchy information I remember about various books. Until now, they've been extermly helful. This weekend all I could seem to find are book series that take place before and after the series that I'm searching for.
What really frustrated me is that I know all it would take in the past is a phone call to the friend that originally loaned the books to me. Only problem is the friend is no longer on the other end of the line, and its times like this that I miss her. The good news is there is a solution of sorts. An aquaintence of mine is a fan of the overall series and can likely point me in the right direction. Too bad it won't cure missing my friend.

1 comment:

Cay said...

God provides all that you need, including filling in the missing parts. ;)

I love the Impressionists, Monet, Van Gogh, Degas specifically. Their work is so full of emotion. You FEEL the minute you see the painting, no interpretation needed, though it can still be done. This dual role that the paintings play places Impressionism at the top of my list.

Love you!