Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fun with the DMV

A friend of mine just posted a story about how the CA DMV sent her a refund for over paying her tags unprompted. It made me think of a couple fun stories.
The first involves my grandma. She passed away when I was in college. A few months later she got a notice to appear from the courts over some ticket. A violation that was committed after she passed. I don't remember the violation. I do remember watching my dad crack up as he read the letter demanding my grandmother present herself in court. He showed up for the court date and explained to the nice judge that she had passed, but that if he could actually force to appear we did have some questions for her.
The second involves my jeep. After moving out of CA I eventually registered my Jeep in my new state. Then my dad, who had co-signed on the jeep loan, got a notice from the CA DMV that the registration was past due. My dad told them that the jeep had actually been registered in CA, so there was no registration due. They wrote back that the late fee had been increased. He double checked with me that I had new plates and everything and then passed the info onto the CA DMV. They wrote back the late fee had grown again and I was in serious trouble.
Eventually the letter wars culminated in my dad having to take a photo copy of my registration down to the DMV. He found someone that had worked there forever and they figured out that one itty bitty boxed hadn't been checked. The nice guy even figured out how to erase the stupid late fees.
Those are my stories. Nothing too exciting. Must say though when my dad called upset that I hadn't paid the registration my stomach knotted up. I was 28 and had been living on my own for years, but that tone of voice immediately made me think I was going to be grounded. Then I realized I was 28 and lived on my own. Then I realized I had registered in a new state. Go figure.

No comments: