Sunday, November 14, 2010

Babies

First, no I am not pregnant. However, I do have babies on the brain. My Goober handled this announcement with ease.

Me: I want a baby
Goober: That's nice
Me: ...
Goober: You have to wait until after we get a puppy, and our apartment doesn't allow pets.
Me: I still want one.
Goober: Honey.
Me: I didn't say it was logical or a good idea right now. Doesn't mean my hormones haven't decided differently.
Goober: Um...

So, yeah. We've been talking babies. We are both in school right now and Goober doesn't have a job. Yesterday we looked at our graduation requirements and we expect that in March of 2012 we will both be graduating. Goober will go on to a four year university, and I will be finally done with homework. Right now that seems like a good time to start trying for a baby.
There are so many things to consider first.
We only have one and for right now that works. It is a two door car though and from experience I can say that those don't work easily with babies and car seats. That means we need to either get rid of it and get a new one, or just get a second car that can accommodate baby and car-seat. Do we stick with one car? If so do we make sure that whomever has the baby has the car? Emergencies and such might mean the need for two cars so the parent with the baby will have transportation.
What about day care? If Goober gets into UW we will have access to campus day care while he is on campus. What that means or entails is something we need to figure out. His mother is close to retirement, but that may not mean she is interested in being a hired nanny for us. What about hiring a professional nanny? What is the cost of daycare centers for infants?
Disposable diapers or cloth? Breast milk or formula?
So many questions...
A good friend of mine just started having similar conversations with her husband. She laughed when I told her I was arguing with myself over babies. Her husband is the one with baby fever and she is trying to be logical about it. She and I got married within a month of each other and we've been hitting milestones together. Looks like with luck we'll continue to do so.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Puppies are easier and don't require car seats. And why do you have to have permission for pets but not kids? They cause a lot more havoc than anything furry. :-)