Monday, November 26, 2007

Sky high

First the bad news: According to the news today's high was 45 degrees, and tomorrow is not looking better.

Now the good news: This weekend was a completely different story.

It wasn't all that warm, but it was absolutely beautiful. Since the sun was out Saturday it made exploring much more fun this time around. We went to Golden Gardens Park which has a sandy beach, a boat marina, and gorgeous views. One of the best views we discovered while walking along one of the park paths. It was a tree that eats kites, kinda like the one in the Charlie Brown comic strips. I spotted one whole one, two tatters remains, and possibly a fourth.

Further on the path, where the park met the beach, we spotted two little boys with their dad trying to fly a kite. The dad would throw it up into the air, and one of the little boys would jerk the string back and forth. Sometimes it would hover, but mostly this would result in the kite making an arch and crashing into the ground. As much fun as they seemed to be having they didn't really stand a chance of getting the kite in the air. There was a slight breeze, but not enough to get it airborne. Still, I'm thinking I'm going to have to buy a kite soon.

Further on the path we spotted another kid. This one was completely bundled up. He had on a windbreaker with a hood, a pair of gloves, a scarf that wound around his face, and a beanie. The cutest part was that he kept turning around and telling his dad, "stay there, I'm okay." Then he would turn back around and keep walking. Every few steps his dad would move forward, and almost immediately the boy would turn back around to make sure he hadn't. It was like watching a little boy try and train his puppy.

Sunday was just as beautiful and I spent most of it wandering around downtown trying to get gift ideas. Eventually I decided I'd had enough of people and went to Ballard to bug my favorite tour guide. Once he completely woke up from his nap he decided to show me around the U district. Its the area in Seattle near the University of Washington, and is the stereotypical college district. As cute as it looks I want to go back and wander around some since we didn't get far this trip. My guide made the mistake of taking me to a large book store. The best part is that he was so entertained by my reaction he is actually planning on taking me to another one.

Yeah. I've got the best tour guide ever.

2 comments:

Cay said...

Oh, I warn people about me and book stores...

Leaving With Grace said...

I did warn him. He took me anyway.